The initial list of subjects is like this:
- Restore on full backup
- Restore on log backup
- Restore on differential backup
- Restore point-in-time
- Restore online
- Restore Full-Text index
- Restore Filestream
- All above on both single and multiple filegroups
- Restore msdb
- Restore master
- Rebuild database instance
- Rebuild Windows Server
- Discuss how to get, store and access the actual version of operating system, applications, .NET, MDAC etc.
- Switch center using clustering, database mirroring and log shipping
- Validate backup - discuss how to do this automatic
- Discuss device file versus backup files
- Recover using snapshot
- Discuss documentation like how, where, what, tools, access and maintenance
- Discuss security about backup sets and snapshots and access to these
- A general discussion about SQL Server infrastructure from the viewpoint of recovery and restore
Each group should have one workstation and three servers - virtual servers could do, but there should be enough disk capacity to create several partitions for each server.
The workshop should be placed away from a major city, so that the participants are not tempted to drop in and out... Of course the food and the housing should support the process and the good spirit.
The seats should be distributed to persons that did not participate before those did the subjects last year.
I think it could be fun and most enlightening!